Monday, September 5, 2011

Sony MDR-ZX100 Review: The Middle-of-the-Road Isn't Always A Dead-End



I’m, admittedly, not an audiophile. Yes, I have something of an unhealthy affinity for music, but I am not a fanatic when it comes to the overall quality of how my musical fix is delivered. Though vinyl is my preferred listening method, I’m just as content to slap on a pair of headphones alongside my trusty iPod touch and fall into bliss. That’s where the mid-range Sony MDR-ZX100s come into play. I opted for the visually alluring white model, which seems to be popular with the pre-teen set (read: iPod Generation), and although I was initially underwhelmed with their sound quality upon the initial listening session, within hours I was left thoroughly convinced that, for their price, they’re amongst the best possible quality one can obtain. 

Sporting a semi-glossy, ivory white finish, these could easily be mistaken for a higher-end product also coveted by adolescents the world over. While these in no way can compete with the aforementioned monitors insofar as audio is concerned, I’m willing to go out on a limb and state that the overall build quality is as good, if not marginally better, than the Beats by Dre (“Solo” model). 

The headphones themselves are fairly sturdy, and thanks to the acrylic material used in the monitor’s cushioning, will not become overly uncomfortable during extended listening sessions. Whilst performing various chores around the home, not once did I feel the need to adjust them, though due to the excessive summer temperatures I found my ears sweating profusely because of the heat generated by the prolonged activity. 

The ZX100s (and their slightly more expensive sibling — at nearly thirty dollars U.S. — the ZX300 model) include a cylindrical cord that all but assures that tangles will be a thing of the past, as well as frayed cables and other cord-related issues that could drastically impede the shelflife of the units. While the ZX100 model doesn’t have a gold-plated connector akin to the more costly ZX300s, the sound is fairly impressive after the initial “burn in” period.

Where these budget monitors excel sonically are in the mid-to-low ranges. Highs are somewhat tinny and unrefined, although it would take something of an obsessive to pick apart the discrepancies that this feature (or lackthereof) may bring rise to. To the casual consumer, these headsets are more than adequate for an extensive listening experience. I’ve owned the Sony MDR-ZX100s for nearly half a day, and while not floored, am more than content. Over time, and as my headphone familiarity builds, I may eventually deem these mediocre on all counts, but until then I’ll have to say that I’m quite happy with my purchase thus far. 

I’m definitely fond of my Sennheiser HD202s due to their vastly superior sound quality, but for the all-around budget consumer, these are at the top of the pile.

My verdict: ***3/4

1 comment:

  1. Sony mdrzx100 stereo headphones light and durable http://headphones-earphones.co.uk/by_brands/sony-headphones & white sony mdr-zx100 headphones http://headphones-earphones.co.uk/sony-zx-100-headphones

    ReplyDelete